Connect with us

Covid-19

How Another Round Of $1,400 Stimulus Checks Could Help Social Security Recipients Make Ends Meet

Published

on

One of the biggest nonpartisan senior citizens advocacy groups – The Senior Citizens League (TSCL) – has recently put up a petition to gain some significant backing and attention for the emergency stimulus check amounting to $1,400. This is for them to cope up with record-high inflation rates.

Petition for more stimulus checks

Part of the petition stated that those who’ll be signing are sworn that they’re in favor of recipients to receive “a $1,400.00 emergency stimulus check to cope during this unprecedented inflationary year.” It went on to note that “Social Security benefits are one of the few types of income in retirement adjusted for inflation,” GBR writes.

Also, the arguments included within the petition states that the cost-of-living adjustment (COLA) increases are not enough for seniors who are living on a fixed income alongside a surge in inflation of up to five percent as this has been going on for over a year now. Additionally, it was also highlighted that Social Security benefits only got a 1.3 percent bump this year as it only increased the benefits’ average of just $20 per month. However, about 86 percent of the recipients who participated in a survey revealed that their expenses have surged well above the said amount.

Skyrocketing prices

Americans are very much aware of this as the meat industry got the highest surge in prices. Despite inflation having come around five percent, prices for chicken in pork rose by 7.2 percent and nine percent respectively. The beef price topped it all with an insane 13 percent from last year.

With that in mind, a stimulus check of $1,400 would be a huge help to senior citizens to still purchase groceries and other essential commodities since they already are enduring a pretty much tight fixed income. In line with this, about 25 percent of seniors having low income have reported food insecurity, according to the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP).

This too has been all over the news that a 5.9 percent COLA increase is bound to come to fruition in 2022 which is the biggest one to date. Nonetheless, rising inflation paired with Medicare costs is likely to chomp most of it. Therefore, a fourth stimulus check could give seniors a helping hand in making both ends meet.

23 Comments

23 Comments

1. Naty Horejs

December 17, 2021 at 3:25 PM

Thanks for trying to help us out We Senior in fixed income has a lot of problems to stress our little income especially with a widow of a Military Veteran like me l’m 73 years old and has a heart problem if l can only work l will
    But my health stop me. A$ 14.hundred will help us so much especially this holiday after paying all my bills and food
    I only have $ 20.00 sometimes $8.00 and wait again for another 18 days for paycheck sorry but it’s the truth.l hope our government will not forget US seniors we work for long time and we pay our social security high now we are retired we get almost nothing for what we give in when we are Working thanks for our new President he gets in the power and forget us atlis Trump do what he said he started this stimulus check to help AMERICANS but when Biden take over everything went to hell sorry he only thinks about rich people he forgot us Middle class and poor Americans GOD Blessed AMERICANS

• Leona Morris

December 19, 2021 at 3:43 PM

I agree with you all thanks for trying to help us . The president only thinks of the baby makers kids and rich . To hell with us on ssi . We might get this raise an if on snap they take away some of our snap benefits how does that help us ?

2. Karen

December 17, 2021 at 3:44 PM

With higher than expected prices on everything,I don’t expect the prices to lower. What are we to do?????

3. Sandee

December 17, 2021 at 4:15 PM

It sure would help!!!!

4. Roy

December 17, 2021 at 7:36 PM

They make the stimulus checks every month for thoses like me on SDI EVERY MONTH because we are struggling and suffering and its putting us in the lowest income of the month ,how would they like living off 931 a month ,where everything is going up ,I can’t even buy my breathing meds that I need every month just to live from day to day .

5. Elizabeth Setzer

December 17, 2021 at 8:06 PM

Thank you David Brinkley for reporting about the possibility for the elderly to possibly get-another stimulus check. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

6. Terry conant

December 17, 2021 at 8:21 PM

I understand how parents with kids can use the extra money however seniors on social security could really use the money. I make $ 800 on ss and I dare anybody to try and live on that

7. Darlene

December 17, 2021 at 8:30 PM

This would be a tremendous benefit for all Social Security recipients. We seem to be the group that is always the last on the list.
    The skyrocketing prices on groceries drain my bank account.

8. Marie Funk

December 17, 2021 at 8:56 PM

Yes very much needed

9. Debbie

December 17, 2021 at 9:58 PM

They just want our vote after that their promises go out the window csuse they aren’t struggling they are less. Screw the seniors disgusting they care less about older people please hypocrites

10. Clark

December 17, 2021 at 11:01 PM

I received notice today that my Social Security will increase by $52.00 a month and still I will get less than $1000.00 a month and I also received a notice stating that since my Social Security was going up I am going to get a $25.00 reduction to my SNAP benefit. It is very difficult to get by month to month and when they give you an increase which is not much they turn around and take almost half of what your increase was. Senior citizens are barely getting by and have to do without a lot just to try and survive.

11. Henry mills

December 18, 2021 at 2:20 AM

Yes the cola is a nice jester but 1400.00 dollar stim check would be great I am a senior …..

12. Bonnie Hopperstad

December 18, 2021 at 5:30 AM

Seniors deserve this. They gave people on unemployment more money for how long. They don’t do much for senior citizens.

13. Rhonda Cochrane

December 18, 2021 at 10:20 PM

They took food stamps from me because of my SS raise, but my rent went up, I can’t afford $170 a month for Medicare, so they’re taking the food out of my mouth, so between insurance costs, rent utilities I’m worse off then before my 5.6% raise, we all need help.

14. Virginia Rhem

December 18, 2021 at 10:33 PM

All the comments that I have read hurt my heart to know that there are seniors who have to decide whether to have their medicine or to have food on the table. If the government can afford to send stimulus payments which we know they can if they would just cut down what they pay the leaders in Congress, then the people on Social Security who have worked all their lives, deserve an additional stimulus checks. Start looking out for the older generation. Remember you young ones one day you will be our age.

15. Dorothy A Jackson

December 19, 2021 at 1:08 AM

We Seniors definitely deserve this, through it all in this Pandemic we have been forgotten yes the previous Stimulus Checks helped out, but the real ones who have benefited through it all are those on Welfare or those with kids they have been taking care of. Even those who collected unemployment but Us Seniors who have worked all our lives we have been left behind.
    Yes the government is giving a big increase thankful for it but as usual with every increase each year the medical goes up so this year it goes from $141 to $171 for me so where is the increase again!! They give but take away at same time. I’m sickly I worked all my life but I work a pt job to help make ends meet. And with that it’s a limit on what I make. Medical doesn’t cover my medicines some of them have to seek extra help but never qualify for it because I have no kids or they say I’m over the limit don’t know how, cost of living rent is high.
    Seniors are not taken care of properly who worked all their lives just like our veterans.
    It seems as if you didn’t work hard you seem to get it all the best medical, food stamps housing etc it’s not fair and it’s nice help us out there but she be out there also for those of us who worked hard all our lives and those who fought for this country.
    This why politics is so treacherous and not fair unless you rich you good.
    Government needs to do better!!

16. Kim Thom

December 19, 2021 at 1:47 AM

It’s been really hard to make ends meet I’m constantly wondering if I’m going to be homeless at some point I can barely keep my head above water being retired isn’t what I expected thanks for trying to help us

17. Debra

December 19, 2021 at 2:50 AM

Yes I agree 100% we seniors should be getting more stimulus. Yes a lot has sky rocket. Those that has a lot of children gets a lot more and rents paid for why because they have children but at the same time they don’t care how many children they have as long as they get a heck of a lot of stimulus so they sit on there buts don’t go to work. Their alto be a cap on a lot of this going out to them. Let seniors get there share.

18. Lena

December 19, 2021 at 5:38 PM

It is real hard on people on SSI or S.S we only get so much a month and when we apply for food stamps they only give us alittle bite not the full amount because we are on social security which isn’t right. Rent went up so dang high that you have to try to get a place and have 3 families live there. There isn’t enough low income housing it’s crazy . So if anything we could use that money with bills and food.

19. Chlorene Brown

December 19, 2021 at 6:59 PM

Seems to me like the Government is discriminating against the elderly and/or the disabled. Others are and have been receiving unemployment, extra tax credits and extra Snap but they leave us disabled to fend for our selves. We have to pay the same price for beef, pork, chicken etc. as the people do who are actually receiving extra help each week/month to help them pay that higher price. It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to see that this isn’t right.

20. Molly

December 19, 2021 at 10:43 PM

It’s amazing we have taken in thousands of immigrants who we give 100% Us seniors who worked all our lives and paid into social security are left in the cold. It’s shameful

21. Claudette Cogdell

December 19, 2021 at 11:57 PM

I’m a senior 71 years old and after paying my rent I have less than $200 left to pay electric, co pays for doctors and meds. Get food stamps get the letter about SS increase also got a letter from snap saying the decreased my snap by half of the SS increase. It’s hard trying to purchase household items and toiletries. I can’t work had a stroke from wording so much. Went to therapy but still weak on my left side can’t drive anymore so have to pay someone to take me some place. A 4th check would really be a blessing. Thank you

22. Irene Simmons

December 20, 2021 at 6:03 AM

As a social security recipient, I get a check for $478 each month. I have to live with my daughter because that is NOT enough for rent, food, utilities and the 14 meds that I have to take. Yes Medicare pays for most of each med, but ther is a co-pay. And all of that does not include the cost of hygiene stuff, or clothes, shoes, cold weather gear, gifts for family, and all of those other “extras”. None of our politicians would DREAM of going to McDonald’s or Domino’s for dinner, but for us seniors going to either place is eating high on the hog!!! Yes seniors could definitely use another stimulus check. I don’t mean to be unfeeling, but people who have children CHOSE to have them, and they, mostly, knew before conception what their finances were like. They put themselves in that position. For the govt to help them out because of the pandemic is fine, but seniors didn’t CHOOSE to become old. We had NO control, except suicide. Yes, we need help!!!

Your email address will not be published.

Covid-19

Many US Residents Migrated From The High-Tax States During The Pandemic

Published

on

Pexels.com

Rising living costs and increased inflation forced US residents to leave their homes and settle in low-cost areas. The individuals moved to states with low-income tax rates; many decided to shift for professional reasons. Yahoo Money reports that states with high-income tax witnessed a decrease in population in the past several months. Low tax states such as Florida, Texas, New Hampshire, South Dakota, Nevada, and Tennessee have recorded the most significant surge in population recently. Families can adjust their monthly budget in cheap areas and have a broader scope for financial growth.

Many US Residents Migrated From The High-Tax States During The Pandemic

Pexels.com

People Move Because Of Several Factors

Yahoo Money quoted Jared Walczak, vice president of state projects with the Center for State Tax Policy at the Tax Foundation; he said, “People move to states with low-income tax for a multitude of reasons, sometimes it’s the most direct and obvious reason that it reduces the tax liability. Especially now that people have more capacity to move where they want, that will be a higher priority for some. There are also second-order effects, states with lower tax burdens and with more pro-growth and higher economic opportunity- and people will move to seek out those things even beyond their tax burdens.”

Low Tax States Present Higher Financial Security

Several US citizens can now efficiently manage their expenses and enhance their lifestyle after moving to new places. The migration has increased inflation in the low-tax areas. However, the living costs are still meager compared to their home states despite the price rise. Yahoo Money quoted Ramona Cedeno, CPA and founder of FiBrick; she said, “I’m one of the people that’s trying to leave New York City to minimize tax burdens. Just up north of New York in the county of Westchester. New York can also be expensive. Before COVID, we stayed in these high-tax states because there was another reason too. My office was based in New York City, and I had clients in California, which required me to be there physically; now that we can work remotely, you don’t have to see clients all the time. You can live anywhere.”

Continue Reading

California News

California Workers Could Get Up To 2 Weeks Of Paid Time Off If They Or Their Family Members Are Covid Positive

Published

on

California news

Some respite for workers in California who are battling economic woes during another wave of Omicron Covid surge. California workers could be getting two weeks of paid time off if they get sick from COVID reports abc7.com.

California State had put in place a similar law last year. However, it expired in September after the COVID-19 situation stabilized and the spread of the virus slowed considerably.

California workers

California workers

Businesses would get up to $6 billion in tax cuts and other assistance

California workers will get up to two weeks of paid time off if they get sick from the coronavirus. In the same way, businesses would get up to $6 billion in tax cuts and other assistance. The above measures are a part of a proposal endorsed on Tuesday by Gov. Gavin Newsom and the state’s top legislative leaders.

The new law had to be proposed after spreading a more viral and contagious form of the virus, the Omicron variant, which spread like wildfire in California State. Significant donors to Democratic politicians in California, labour unions have pressured state officials to bring the paid sick leave law back.

California Business Groups oppose the latest proposals.

However, the latest move to provide extra sick leave has been opposed by Business Groups as many industries are already struggling to retain workers during the pandemic. Last year businesses could avail themselves of the federal tax credit, which helped provide some relief. However, Tax Credit is not available this year.

However, Newsom and legislative leaders have agreed to end some tax increases on businesses. The taxes were imposed in 2020 when state officials feared that the pandemic could precipitate a significant budget deficit. Instead, state revenues have soared during the pandemic. The taxes were supposed to end at the end of 2022.

However, state officials have decided to end it Newsom, and legislative leaders have agreed to end them one year early. Additionally, more money will be spent on a state grant program for businesses and not charge state taxes on some federal grants. It all adds up to about $6 billion for businesses.

Proposals must have the support of Democrats in California State Chambers.

The proposals were declared by Newsom and the state’s top two legislative leaders: Senate President Pro Tempore Toni Atkins and Assembly Speaker Anthony Rendon on Tuesday. However, Democrats hold large majorities in both chambers, and it would also require their support for the approval of the projects.

The proposal envisages workers getting one week of paid time off if their family members test positive for the virus. The companies will have to provide the coronavirus test and pay for it. Workers who don’t undergo these tests refuse to be tested will be barred from the scheme.

Continue Reading

Child Tax Credit

Child Tax Credit And Stimulus Checks Create Confusion For Tax-Filing

Published

on

Families To Get $300 Child Tax Credit Boost In Time For Thanksgiving – See If You're Eligible

Confusing and long tax season, the tax preparers seem to be bracing it. It is due to the child tax credits and the stimulus checks received by Americans in 2021. The stimulus amount and the credits were not received by many. However, many families were entitled to it, and so they can claim it this year.

US Mothers Are Eligible For $1,000 Monthly Payments: Check Details.

CNBC/screenshot

Are there any rising questions from the public?

According to tax accountants, they are receiving many questions regarding CTC. Many families received it like a tax refund, six months early.

The Certified Public Accountant, Roy Mitchell, said the families who didn’t receive CTC can claim now. He says now is the time for claiming the amount of $3600 (up to) for every child, as per information provided by the Seattle Times.

Anyone can claim the stimulus check, which is missing as of now.

A lot of confusion is faced by the office of Roy Mitchell. It is from the people who are missing some amount of money and those who are not.

Smaller tax refunds confusion

Mitchell expects to hear from taxpayers who wonder why the refund is less than the previous year. It is because CTC was the advance on money that they used to receive at the time of filing. It is $1000 less this time.

The stimulus check of last year wouldn’t impact any refunds.

Check the mail for IRS letter

As per Mitchell, any parent having a child below 18 years of age should wait for filing until they receive the IRS letter. This letter will explain the amount received and the family’s own.
Anyone still confused about it all can talk with the tax pro. A talk with someone knowledgeable will help to get the money. They will also help to get 2021’s missing credit so that one doesn’t remain in vain of it, as per NBC4.

Continue Reading