Connect with us

Local News

News Anchor Of Oakland TV Channel Suspended For Wanting To Discuss ‘Missing White Woman Syndrome’ Over Coverage Of Gabby Petito

David Crabtree

Published

on

After he had informed his bosses about his desire to explore “missing white lady syndrome” during the Gabby Petito coverage, a television channel KTUV in Oakland has indefinitely suspended an Emmy Award-winning news anchor.

It has been reported that 63-year-old anchor Frank Somerville, contended with the station news director over including a “short tagline” on how significantly more publicity is garnered for missing person cases involving white women compared to those incidents that involve indigenous and Black people and was suspended by the television channel as a consequence.

Somerville wished to draw attention to the widespread television reporting of the missing and death of Petito, according to the Mercury News.

Somerville’s boss, Amber Eikel, apparently informed him that it would be improper to discuss the issue, which led the two getting into an argument – resulting in Somerville’s suspension.

Somerville has just recently got back into anchoring following a previous suspension related to him slurring his words during a live show on May 30.

No comment on the issue was available from KTUV.

Credit- firstpost.uk

Joy Reid, a television personality, last week questioned the tremendous interest in Petito’s disappearance, as well as the lack of attention in instances involving persons of color.

“The way this story captivated the nation has many wondering, why not the same media attention when people of color go missing?” the MSNBC anchor asked.

“Well, the answer actually has a name: missing white woman syndrome – the term coined by the late and great Gwen Ifill to describe the media and public fascination with missing white women like Laci Peterson or Natalee Holloway, while ignoring cases involving people of color,” the host of ReidOut said.

Somerville has a Black daughter and has been working with the Fox-affiliated KTUV since 1992. He said that the suspension claims were “basically true”, in response to the media seeking his side of the story.

About Post Author

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Local News

On the Caspian shore of Russia, thousands of dead seals have washed up

Published

on

Russian authorities inspected the coastline.

Officials announced on Sunday that over 2,500 dead seals had been discovered near the Caspian Sea coast of Russia.

Authorities in the Russian province of Dagestan stated that the cause of the shocking mass deaths was unknown and that they believed it was probably due to natural causes.

The number of dead seals discovered off the coast on Saturday initially appeared to be 700, but later rose to 2,500, according to the Russian Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment.

The Caspian Environmental Protection Center’s Zaur Gapizov stated in a statement that the seals had probably been dead for a few weeks. He claimed that there was no evidence that they had been killed or caught in fishing nets.

The dead seals were thought to have perished due to natural causes.

According to a statement posted on the Telegram messaging app by the Dagestan natural resources ministry, samples taken from the seals’ internal organs did not contain any traces of pollution.

A North Caucasus fisheries official was quoted by the business newspaper Kommersant as suggesting that the seals may have perished due to protracted storms, although the news website Fontanka.ru suggested that the mass deaths may have been brought on by a natural gas leak from the sea’s abundant resources.

The Dagestan ministry stated after this incident that there was still a stable number of Caspian seals in the region, “ranging from 270,000 to 300,000.”

According to RIA, the seals are at the top of the food chain and have no natural enemies as adults. They can grow to a length of more than 1.6 metres (5.2 feet) and a weight of up to 100 kilogrammes (200 pounds).

About Post Author

Continue Reading

Local News

At the Union Square subway station, a man was robbed and cut in the face

Published

on

Police reported that a guy was cut on a Queens subway platform early on Sunday and was taken to the hospital.

Around 6 a.m., the attacker cut the victim with a sharp object as he was standing on a platform for the northbound F train at the Kew Gardens/Union Turnpike station, according to police.

Following the suspect onto the station, the victim argued with the suspect while he was attempting to retrieve his bag.

The defendant allegedly then produced a knife, cut the victim in the face, and fled.

The victim’s minor cut was treated.

The suspect managed to get away with the bag, which had a pair of boots and several equipment for building valued a combined total of approximately $420.

About Post Author

Continue Reading

Us News

man who killed 70 years old Massachusetts couple over a barking dog was found in Florida.

Published

on

man who killed 70 years old Massachusetts couple over a barking dog was found in Florida.

Police stated that they had apprehended the fugitive suspected of fatally murdering an elderly Massachusetts couple during a dispute about a noisy dog in Florida.

The Plymouth County District Attorney’s Office reported that Christopher Keeley, 27, was apprehended Thursday at 8:20 p.m. in Miami Beach, approximately 1,500 miles from the Marshfield home where he is accused of beating Carl and Vicki Mattson, both 70, to death.

The couple and Keeley allegedly got into a fight about a barking dog, according to the police.

According to court documents obtained by CBS, the alleged brute had been staying in the Mattson’s Gotham Hill Drive house as a courtesy to a family member but had just been ordered to leave.

According to Keeley’s arrest on a warrant as an out-of-state fugitive, Miami-Dade County jail records show this. It was unclear at first if Keeley had hired a lawyer.

 

Massachusetts couple

 

Questions were not immediately answered by representatives of the Massachusetts State Police and the Miami-Dade Police Department. It was impossible to speak with a district attorney’s office representative for Plymouth County right away.

A dog that had been reported missing earlier was also discovered dead inside the home, according to the DA. It’s unclear to whom the dog belonged or how it passed away.

This would not be the first time Keeley had turned to murder after a dispute.

In a dispute over a phone charger when he was 18 years old, Keeley broke his grandmother’s vehicle window, according to The Patriot Ledger. He was accused of intentionally causing damage to a vehicle.

man who killed 70 years old Massachusetts couple over a barking dog was found in Florida

 

According to Keeley, he attacked the couple after a dispute about a barking dog.

At least two further significant run-ins with the law involved Keeley. According to the publication, he was detained in 2016 at the age of 21 for organising and carrying out a group beating of a man with autism before snatching his cellphone and wallet. According to reports, a court in Massachusetts deemed Keeley “to be dangerous,” and he was subsequently given an 18-month prison term.

Keeley was recently charged with narcotics possession after it was claimed that he was found driving about with marijuana and Xanax. According to court documents obtained by The Ledger, he was charged with drug offences.

About Post Author

Continue Reading

Trending