A U.S. court sentenced a Pakistan resident to 12 years of imprisonment on charges of a conspiracy by him to “unlock” phones from AT&T’s network, which according to the company resulted in a loss of more than $200 million.
In 2012, an employee of an AT&T call center in Bothell, Washington, was recruited via Facebook by 35-year-old Karachi resident Muhammad Fahd. That employee and other employees of AT&T were bribed by the Pakistani man for unlocking phones using the credentials of the employees.
This resulted in the phones being unlocked and removed from AT&T’s network even for those customers who had yet completed payments for the expensive devices or before the expiry of the service contracts with the company. That allowed the customers to then go on to purchase cheaper telephone services for their phones.
At a later stage, the employees of the company were also used by Fahd to install malware on the network of AT&T which allowed him to unlock the phones directly from Pakistan. Even after his initial scheme was detected by the company, Fahd carried on with his ploy.
Prosecutors said two employees of the company were fired as a consequence.
Fahd ended up making millions through selling illegal phone-unlocking services through online retailers. He started to live an extravagant lifestyle with frequent foreign trips – staying at hotels in Dubai costing $1,000-a-night and wearing a $30,000 watch. According to the U.S. Attorney’s Office in Seattle, Fahd even hired the British singer-songwriter, Jay Sean, to perform at his wedding for an estimated $100,000.
During the scam, the Pakistani allegedly paid $922,000 from 2012 to 2017 to three employees of AT&T prior to being arrested in 2018 I Hong Kong. The scam comprised of over 1.9 million AT&T phones being unlocked, showed a forensic analysis of the scam by, AT&T.
In 2018, Fahd was extradited to the U.S. where he pleaded guilty to the crime of wire fraud conspiracy in 2020.
“This defendant is a modern-day cybercriminal who combined his technological expertise with old-school techniques such as bribery, intimidation, and exploitation,” Acting U.S. Attorney Tessa M. Gorman said in a news release.
About Post Author
At the Union Square subway station, a man was robbed and cut in the face
Police reported that a guy was cut on a Queens subway platform early on Sunday and was taken to the hospital.
Around 6 a.m., the attacker cut the victim with a sharp object as he was standing on a platform for the northbound F train at the Kew Gardens/Union Turnpike station, according to police.
Following the suspect onto the station, the victim argued with the suspect while he was attempting to retrieve his bag.
The defendant allegedly then produced a knife, cut the victim in the face, and fled.
The victim’s minor cut was treated.
The suspect managed to get away with the bag, which had a pair of boots and several equipment for building valued a combined total of approximately $420.
About Post Author
man who killed 70 years old Massachusetts couple over a barking dog was found in Florida.
Police stated that they had apprehended the fugitive suspected of fatally murdering an elderly Massachusetts couple during a dispute about a noisy dog in Florida.
The Plymouth County District Attorney’s Office reported that Christopher Keeley, 27, was apprehended Thursday at 8:20 p.m. in Miami Beach, approximately 1,500 miles from the Marshfield home where he is accused of beating Carl and Vicki Mattson, both 70, to death.
The couple and Keeley allegedly got into a fight about a barking dog, according to the police.
According to court documents obtained by CBS, the alleged brute had been staying in the Mattson’s Gotham Hill Drive house as a courtesy to a family member but had just been ordered to leave.
According to Keeley’s arrest on a warrant as an out-of-state fugitive, Miami-Dade County jail records show this. It was unclear at first if Keeley had hired a lawyer.
Questions were not immediately answered by representatives of the Massachusetts State Police and the Miami-Dade Police Department. It was impossible to speak with a district attorney’s office representative for Plymouth County right away.
A dog that had been reported missing earlier was also discovered dead inside the home, according to the DA. It’s unclear to whom the dog belonged or how it passed away.
This would not be the first time Keeley had turned to murder after a dispute.
In a dispute over a phone charger when he was 18 years old, Keeley broke his grandmother’s vehicle window, according to The Patriot Ledger. He was accused of intentionally causing damage to a vehicle.
According to Keeley, he attacked the couple after a dispute about a barking dog.
At least two further significant run-ins with the law involved Keeley. According to the publication, he was detained in 2016 at the age of 21 for organising and carrying out a group beating of a man with autism before snatching his cellphone and wallet. According to reports, a court in Massachusetts deemed Keeley “to be dangerous,” and he was subsequently given an 18-month prison term.
Keeley was recently charged with narcotics possession after it was claimed that he was found driving about with marijuana and Xanax. According to court documents obtained by The Ledger, he was charged with drug offences.
About Post Author
Richard Cottingham, the ‘Torso Killer,’ admits to five more murders in NYC
On Monday, the notorious serial killer who has become known as the “Torso Killer” due to the way in which he dismembered some of his victims is scheduled to enter a guilty plea in connection with the brutal slayings of five women on Long Island.
Richard Cottingham, 76, was convicted of killing six women between 1967 and 1980 in New Jersey.
According to the report by Newsday, the ex-computer programmer and one-time married father of three is now anticipated to admit to the rape and murder of dance teacher Diane Cusick in 1968, as well as the slayings of four other women in Nassau County in 1972 and 1973.
Cusick, who was 23 years old at the time of his death, was discovered dead after failing to return home from a trip to the Green Acres Mall in Valley Stream in order to purchase footwear. Through the use of DNA evidence, Cottingham was eventually implicated in her passing.
In June, the mass murderer was charged in connection with the death of Cusick.
At the time, the prosecutor for Nassau County, Anne Donnelly, stated that she believed the DNA hit that led to the prosecution was the oldest one ever recorded in the United States.
The court hearings that are scheduled to take place on Monday are going to take place in a courtroom in Mineola. Cottingham is going to appear in court virtually from the prison in New Jersey where he is currently serving his life sentence.
Cottingham asserts that during his violent rampage, he was responsible for the deaths of up to one hundred women. Two women, whose bodies had been mutilated, were among the victims of Bergen County Attorney’s Office Officer Cottingham, whose victims included two women whose bodies were found at a motel in Times Square.
He has claimed credit for as many as one hundred murders despite the fact that he was not involved in many of those murders.
The murders that have caused Cottingham so much ire date back to December 1979 and involve the slayings of two women whose mutilated bodies were found in a cabin near Times Square. The victims’ active and easily movable limbs were missing from their bodies.
One of the victims had previously been identified as a sex worker named Deedeh Goodarzi, who was 22 years old at the time of her murder; however, the other young woman has never been found.
On Monday, Richard Cottingham, also known as the “Torso Killer,” is scheduled to face an appeal accusable to bristles additional murders.
At the time of his arrest in 1980 in New York, Cottingham had an antecedent affiliation that included three children, and he was alive as a computer programmer for a bloom allowance aggregation in the state.
After a maid at a New Jersey hotel heard a woman talking inside his room, the police were called, and they found the 18-year-old victim alive in the room. She had been attacked with a knife, and she had chaw marks on her breasts. He was found guilty of the crime, and he went bankrupt as a result.
His heinous deeds were detailed in great detail in the Netflix series titled “Crime Scene: The Times Square Killer,” which was originally scheduled to premiere in December 2021.
About Post Author
Personal Finance News1 year ago
Child Tax Credit 2021 Update: December Payment Deadline For $3,600 Check As Surprise Cash
Stimulus Checks12 months ago
Stimulus Plus-Up Payments Worth $1,400 Are Available Till 2021 – Check If You Are Eligible
Covid-191 year ago
US COVID-19 Deaths In 2021 Surpass Last Year’s Numbers
California News12 months ago
Stimulus Check: The Plus-Up From The IRS Will Be The Final One For 2021
Child Tax Credit11 months ago
2021 Taxes: IRS Reverts Tax Filing Deadline Back In April Despite Raging Pandemic
Personal Finance News12 months ago
2021 Child Tax Credit Payments Impact The Tax Returns Next Year – Check How
Social Security11 months ago
2022 Tax Season: No Tax Break For Millions Who Received Tax Relief in 2021
Us News11 months ago
Americans Will Receive Emergency Food Benefits This Week: Details Inside